Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Setting Some PRs in 2013

March 16, 2013 I ran my second ever 10K. Back in 2012 I ran the Cooper Rive Bridge Run. Although it was fun, and the experience was amazing... I feel that no amount of training could ever prepare you for the straight up bridge that consumed the first half mile of that race. Plus, the conditions were terrible! I was a)starving b)tired and c) sick of standing!

So, when some of my XC friends told me about the Dublin race, I was pumped! A race 30 minutes from home in a residential area, AND only $18 for race plus t-shirt?!? Sign me up! Plus, I have always dreamed of running in Dublin for St. Patrick's Day!


For the past three months I have been running pretty hardcore. I say hardcore, and to some folks I am sure I'm not really.. but for me... I have been setting my LIFE around Sunday's demanding long runs. I also have been VERY disciplined when it comes to weekday runs. That's what it takes, right?! I can definitely tell that it is paying off. I feel great, I am down to a size 8 in pants (whhhhhaaat?!) and honestly, although I am super strict about juicing 2 meals with the husband, I am still enjoying food. This chick can't turn down some good grub. I made the NY Resolution to get in some kind of cardio every single day. So far.... #EveryDayCounts is going strong!

Friday night Coach had a home baseball game. I knew I wasn't going to run because Fridays are my "rest" day, so I went for a walk with some friends. It was way too pretty of a day to say no. Plus, it was finally starting to feel like spring. After the game we were starving... (baseball games plus juicing... intense) so we went to the local steak house. What did we have?! Chicken! Once we got home I got all of my "gear" ready to go. Then the ever so famous race jitters kicked in. I seriously could not go to sleep! Even though the race was somewhat local, it had an 8am start time. We had to leave at 6:45am!

I finally fell asleep and quickly began dreaming of PRs.

I was up before the alarm, and ready to go. We drank our meal replacement shakes, downed some Spark, and hit the road. I would like to think that since I am the world's largest grump  non-morning perspn that Coach would just drive me while I dozed in the car... nope. I was talking 90 miles a minute. I am pretty sure I was talking about the books of the Bible, what and how I am praying, and how I want to become a better person... and how I was going to change the world. Yes, saving the problems of the world on a Saturday morning at 7am. This is just more proof that I married the best man on the planet. He just let me talk...

When we arrived to Dublin and parked Coach noticed lots of folks with their race bibs already. No matter how many races he takes me to, the man still worries. "How do they have their number?" "Were you suppose to get yours?" "What if you can't get yours?" "Are you ready?!" See, his nerves even started kicking in.  I was able to get my number and be at the line 30 minutes early. This is where we saw a green dog. Only in Dublin on St. Patty's Day!


Even though it turned out to be the prettiest day of 2013 so far, it was a tad chilly at 7am. Exact words, "You can finish in 45 minutes. I'm cold. Good luck!" Such a motivator!

Then the race started. It was the most beautiful race I have ever been a part of. I LOVED it! It was very residential. Very pretty, and such nice houses to look at! It was a 5K and a 10K. There were so many people! That is what makes a race fun!

I noticed at mile 2 that my pace was a little faster than normal. I just thought it was the early "race fuel" that normally occurs when racing. Nope. I kept a pretty impressive pace throughout the entire race. When I hit 6 miles and Siri told me I was right at a 10 minute mile... I was pretty impressed!(This is fast for me!) I never stopped. I just kept running.


As always... the best part was crossing the finish line. Confession: I told Coach I wanted to finish in 1:10. However, with my past runs, plus the effort I have been putting in... I really wanted to finish under an hour. Well, 1:03:48 isn't far from an hour right?! I also had a super wonderful friend that got up early on her Saturday morning and drove to see me race. Amazing right?!


It all comes down to this: With this race I set 5 PRs. This was my best 10K time. In fact, I beat my CRBR time by 23:45.


Plus, when I was at the finish line... I got to see this lil babe, and eat Chick-fil-a.

I seriously have the best friends in the world! My husband isn't that bad either!

Love love,
C^2

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Real Life Coach's Wife Life

 In 2011 blogging was a bit of a lengthy status update for social media. Coach and I moved away from "home" and it was just a fun ...