Monday, May 6, 2013

13.1 & The Look


I am pretty sure that not a soul on the planet knows me more than my husband does. I like to tell him he doesn’t have a clue about me… but let’s face it… he is usually right on target when it comes to figuring me out. Like that time in pre-marriage counseling that I tried to fib a bit on my love language…. Yeah. It is totally “Gifts” and I tried to claim it was “words of affirmation.”  He totally knew that he doesn’t have to tell me I look great… just buy me the dress that makes me look great and I’ll buy you the matching shirt and tie. Is this bad? Probably.
Anyway… this story has a point. My husband KNOWS that I can get myself into some pretty tough situations. When he first realizes that I have made a slam dunk ehhhhh decision… he gets this look. This look is a mixture between having the words, “CARLEY! What were you thinking?!”sitting at the tip of his tongue and the cautionary glance of waiting for me to pronounce my defeat. Never. Gonna. Happen. I always cover up his look with my over the top enthusiasm. “Oh this is great!” “I’m so excited!”
Well, Saturday, May 4, 2013 Coach gave me this look. You see, since January 1st when I made the New Year’s resolution to make every day count, and pump up the cardio I have been searching high and low for a half marathon to run. Then I spent a good solid month creating my 30 Before 30 list. I really wanted to run a half marathon this year! Well, I would search on all of my fave running sites for a race to enter. They were all either 200+ miles away, or $$$$. I did not want to have to travel for a race, and I didn’t want to pay an entry fee as big as a mortgage payment to RUN! Come on! I run every single day for FREE! Why must you charge me $200 to RUN?! (Rant over.) I recently became a member of the coolest group of runners. It is a South Georgia group called “Runners for Christ.” They host lots of races from Macon to the deep south. You earn points for each race you run. PLUS, you get to run for Christ, all while donating to local schools or churches. LOVE THIS GROUP! Well, I noticed that they were having a small local race that was going to be about an hour from my house. The race was advertised like this: Run the 8 mile race, the 4 mile race, the 1.1 (Country mile) race, or ALL 3 for a half marathon for one entry fee!!! Ummmm…. YES! No traveling, no hotels, no time off, low entry fee, AND to a perfect group that deserves my $$$. I signed up without any hesitation. I had already been training pretty hardcore for the past 5 months. Hardcore meaning daily runs with one LONG run a week. I was ready! I took it as a sign of this race just being meant to be.
Race day came and a cold front came rushing into the south without any warning. Oh, and it brought the pouring rain with it. It was 47*, and POURING! We get to the race site and it is in the country! I mean…. Far out! I remained calm. Then it was time to get my bib. I go to check in and chat up with the person in charge. He tells me (with Coach standing right next to me) that I can run all three races by stopping after each race, or just run all the way through. However, if I decide to run all three, I would most likely be the only one doing that. 250 folks and I am the only one wanting to run all 13.1 nonstop. Now, several folks were doing 13.1. Just breaking it up into 3 races. (Why? No clue.)
This very moment is when I got the look. I knew my husband really really wanted to tell me that I had officially lost my mind. I get no credit when it comes to these races. He is ALWAYS worried about me. I guess it is love. I am sure holding back was painful, but all he said was… “You sure you wanna do this?” I will admit, I am NEVER the first in a group of runners. I like to hang in the middle to be sure of the route we are taking. This meant that I was going to have to trust the tiny arrows that were placed out on the road to lead me to the 13.1. So, with the look of great doubt from Coach, I start my true Carley ways. “Oh yeah! This is going to be great! I am excited to see the roads in this area! Plus, I’ll be the winner no matter what! Hahahaha.”
Well, I layered up, (it was chilly) set my watch and hit the road. I was with a pack of runners for the first 8 miles. At the finish line when everyone else was finished and resting for the hour until the start of the next race, I was the soaking wet kid that ran right past the booth. I had another 5.1 to finish! Now that it is over, and I am sitting in my warm house with dry clothing on I can say the race was wonderful! The constant dripping of water from my hat did not even slow me down. The rain was seriously pouring down on me. When training, my longest run was last weekend and it was only 10 miles. I finished that in 1:13. I was a little worried about the extra 3.1, but I had a feeling I was going to be OK. I finished the 13.1 in 2:21:14. My legs started to feel tight at mile 11, so the last 2 were the hardest. I finished the run with a smile! I kept thinking… I get to knock something off my list already! I filled my iPod with some new NeedtoBreathe (pun slightly intended!) and had it on repeat for the last two songs. I guess the fact that “I am washed by the water” was playing is quite amusing now!
Coach’s unofficial job at races is to take pictures at the finish line. Afterwards he admitted that he only got two because he was really unsure if I was finished. It took 3+ hours for my first half, and I looked like a beat up horse when I finished that one. So friends, I only have 2 little iPhone pictures. However, it was pretty much the most amazing feeling ever… I may or may not be addicted and already searching for my next one! Well, 13.1. 




Love love,
C^2

1 comment:

The Real Life Coach's Wife Life

 In 2011 blogging was a bit of a lengthy status update for social media. Coach and I moved away from "home" and it was just a fun ...