Monday, February 25, 2013

Veggie Soup With Pulp

It is cold and VERY rainy here in the beautiful south. I am slightly over winter. I am ready for spring and flip-flops. I am also officially down 10 lbs,  (I say officially because I count it if I can keep it off during the weekends. This weekend I did indeed keep the pounds off, even with eating out with friends!) so I am ready to splurge on a new bathing suit and proudly rock it this summer on our many (promised) daily beach trips this summer. Anyway... this blog does have a purpose. My last post I wrote all about juicing and our new love for it. (Check it out if you haven't. I plan to post more helpful tips soon.) So, tonight since the weather is yuck I decided to make some vegetable soup. I cannot take full credit for this soup since it is really partly Coach's recipe, and he got it from his Mama Bette. I must admit that her's is ALWAYS better. I know that I have his heart, and he loves my cooking, buy Bette sure does make the best soup, and spaghetti. I am OK with this. So, I am using her recipe that he uses, however I DID add some other great stuff to it tonight since my goal was to use some pulp from our juices that we made today. I must say... it was pretty delicious! Warning: I NEVER measure when I cook. I literally use "handfuls" "pinches" and "dashes."

Here is what I used: 
 
 1 large bottle of tomato juice (I could have juiced my tomatoes, but I would need about 30. ehhhh. I just bought Campbell's.)

1/2 pound of ground turkey/beef/chicken/ or don't use any meat. Coach has always used beef. 

Handful of frozen corn

Handful of fresh green beans

Handful of frozen peas

2 small red potatoes with skin, diced

1/2 small Vidallia onion, diced (I live 30 minutes from Vidallia. So, that is the onion we always use.) 

Little bit of garlic

Little bit of sea salt

Ground black pepper
 
 All of the daily pulp used from the previous meals. This is what was so great about this meal. It was my special touch to Mama Bette's recipe that Coach has always used. Today we had carrot, kale, spinach, and asparagus for our lunch. Just save the pulp, and dump it in the soup! 


What You Do: 
Brown the meat. (If you use meat.) 

Dump everything into a large pot. 

Heat until is boils. 

Let it simmer for about 30 minutes. 

Serve. 

Be careful, you may burn the roof of your mouth... it is super hot! (DUH!) 

Seems so easy right?! It was delicious! I will love eating the leftovers tomorrow pre-run. 

 
 The pulp was a great way to limit waste, add to our diets, and it gave the soup a thicker texture. It was great! I cannot wait to use pulp in more recipes soon. I loved that this was a great recipe to start with! If you don't juice, you can still use this concept of soup. Just clean out your freezer. Don't be afraid, I would have added beans if Coach wasn't such a picky bean eater. (He doesn't ever eat beans. Strange)  Super simple, super easy, super healthy, super delicious! 

Let me know if you try it! Also, PLEASE email me with any questions about juicing, cooking, vitamins, or just to say HEY! You can reach me at crgcain@gmail.com

Love love, 
C^2
 

 




2 comments:

  1. New reader... enjoying your blog! Looking forward to trying out this soup. :)

    ReplyDelete

The Real Life Coach's Wife Life

 In 2011 blogging was a bit of a lengthy status update for social media. Coach and I moved away from "home" and it was just a fun ...