Thursday, December 8, 2011

Almost to the Finish Line!

Good morning friends! I am BEHIND on this blog. I promise you will be tired of hearing from me when January 2, 2012 comes! I was busy finishing up my classes and finals for my undergrad degree. Woohoo! Yesterday at 5:30pm I walked out of ASU for the last time! Now all I lack is my final 680 hours of student teaching. However, I am SO excited because I absolutely LOVE 21 four-year-olds. Monday I spent the day with them and we decorated our class tree.
This experience taught me that I definitely want a Christmas tree in my classroom! (This is the unfinished product.)

Now, for what some folks are really wanting.... :) I am trying this new concept of only grocery shopping once every two weeks. The cost of groceries are constantly increasing, and like gas, we can't live without groceries. December 1st I made a plan to go and stock up on meat. I researched the sale papers, and decided that Food Lion had the best sale on chicken. (We eat chicken three nights a week.) When I arrived at the store I found that there was a TON of great buys. Then the idea to stock up on meat for the month came to me. So, I purchased $50 of meat, and came home and put it in the freezer. I got pork roasts, beef roasts, chicken, pork, and ground beef. I sat down and planned out 22 meals with what I purchased. I am going to make it my goal to do better in January. Hey, this is my first time!
With our busy schedules I try to use my crock pot a minimum of 2 nights a week. Thanks to Pinterest, I have lots of new recipes that I can't wait to try. Monday I started with an easy one.
Here is what you will need:
You actually do not need the Christmas ornaments. They were just on my kitchen table. :)
You see that I have included Slow Cooker Liners. They are expensive, but I HIGHLY recommend them. If you are going to be home all day, and you can stir your food, then you may not want them. I use my crock pot because I want dinner to be cooked when I get home. Just get some. You'll love me.
I also used a 2.78lb pork roast that was frozen. I did not take a picture of this. DON'T FORGET THE PORK!
If your roast is less than 3 lbs. you only need one Coke. I think it would be fun to try Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, or even Pepsi.
You will see that I use the store brand very frequently. Don't be afraid to try the store brand. Save some money. BC thought that he could only have name brand. Then he got married.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pork roast
  • 1 or 2 cans of Coke (depends on size of roast)
  • Seasoning salt
  • 1 bottle of BBQ sauce. 
Easy huh?

What to Do:
  • Line your pot. 
  • Generously cover your roast with seasoning salt. 
  • Place the roast in the pot.
  • Pour Coke over the roast. 
  • Pour half the bottle of BBQ sauce over the roast. 
I always cook with frozen meat. I cook in the crock pot for lack of time. I don't have time to remember to thaw meat. If your roast is frozen, set your pot to HIGH. I cooked mine for about 7 hours. You will know it is done when it literally falls apart. You can cook on LOW if it is going to be a long day at work.
I put the pork on a bun... I also added some extra BBQ sauce. ENJOY!
My favorite part of cooking dinner is providing two teachers with lunch that isn't a sandwich. Coach Cain got some complements on his lunch the next day! Mission accomplished. 
Let me know how it turns out for you! 
Love love, 
C^2


    2 comments:

    1. Ok... I love reading your blog. It makes me feel like we don't live 3 hours away from each other. I miss you my friend. Please come stay with me over the break! Please!?? Love you!
      LB

      ReplyDelete

    The Real Life Coach's Wife Life

     In 2011 blogging was a bit of a lengthy status update for social media. Coach and I moved away from "home" and it was just a fun ...