Monday, September 3, 2012

Why We Do What We Do

I am a huge believer that God has a plan for all of us. I feel that we all have a special "calling" and when you know what yours is, you do it to the best of your ability. Each day I praise God for creating a husband for me that shares the same passion as I do. Coach and I know that our calling is working with the youth in our community. When we knew that we were going to move from the Augusta area, we began to pray for God to send us to the location that He wanted us to be in. It really isn't the easiest thing to do. I can remember thinking, "Move nearly 4 hours away from my family?" Well, now that we are here, I know it is the best place we could ever be. 



When I was asked to start a middle school cross country team, I was not a bit hesitant. I knew that running is a passion of mine, and I also knew that teaching young adults about running and a healthy lifestyle would also benefit the young generation. Well, it was easier said than done. Our team consists of 25 runners, a mix of female and male athletes. We have never had a team, so I am responsible for scheduling, buses, uniforms, and finding a trial to run on. Ahhhhhh..... so much to do and so little time! 

This weekend was our first real meet. After being out late due to the game, (at 1:45am, I remember telling Coach we had to go to sleep!) we got up at 5:30 and got ready to meet my team at the school to drive to Cochran. Coach was "Husband of the Year" and drove our bus for us. This is just one perk of having a football coach for a husband... free transportation. I may or may not of had to remind him of all the yummy dinners I have cooked him, and all the support and love I give him from the 50 yard line every Friday night. But, he may or may not have been so upset because UGA kicked off at 12:21 that afternoon. (For those concerned, he made it home in time to watch every play!)

 There were 15 other middle school teams. I was so nervous! I probably said, "Just do your best, and run hard! Finishing is winning!" about 3094739 times.  The boys ran first, and I actually teared up when the first group turned the corner of the last leg of the race. Luckily, I had my shades on to hide my softy side... Two of the guys won medals! I was so happy! There were 85 male runners. Then the ladies took off. I was praying the entire time they ran! I had one finish 2nd, and three others medal! I was PUMPED! They rocked it! The guys came in 4th overall, just 17 points behind the 3rd place, and the ladies came in 3rd overall! We now have a trophy to add to the case. Not too bad for 2 weeks of practice, and our first ever team! I couldn't stop smiling all weekend! I called and sent a text to everyone I knew! I have also been enjoying the sight of the trophy as it sits in the kitchen until Tuesday when I take it to the school. 

The kids were so excited! I loved that they all were a team, and were rewarded for their hard work. I mean... how many of you would run 3+ miles every single day at 4:00pm in the south Ga heat? 

Two weeks ago, Mr. Coach told the linemen that they would be rewarded for their hard work in the game. He decided to have a pancake breakfast on Sundays after the Friday night game for those that had a good game and showed heart all week at practice.This turned out to be a great time of fellowship for the kids. Anyone that wanted a good breakfast was welcome to join.  I cooked 90 pancakes for breakfast and had a car full on the way to church. Mission accomplished!






My job was to stay in the kitchen and flip away, but I did get to hear some great conversations. The guys love the coaching staff, they feel loved by them. They trust them to guide them in the right direction, they are eager to learn from them, and they respect them more than they have ever in the past. They are also stronger than they have ever been. Some kids are "pushing sick weight." Coach even gave out grades, and they were pretty impressive. They were actually the best that I have ever heard from one game! 

Two kids caught a ride to church with us, and when we got there, the linemen actually took up the first two rows in the church! 

So... These are the very reasons why we do what we do.... 

Love love, 
C^2

1 comment:

  1. You guys are doing exactly what you were meant to do. This post made me tear up!

    ReplyDelete

The Real Life Coach's Wife Life

 In 2011 blogging was a bit of a lengthy status update for social media. Coach and I moved away from "home" and it was just a fun ...